When I worked as a chef at finer hotels and clubs throughout British Columbia and Alberta, fine dining was where it’s at. The hub of the action, where your creative juices were allowed to flow.
It was all gourmet.
Fine Dining allows the creative flow by introducing professional cooks to use top quality meats and vegetables, where you wouldn’t have that option at home, on a daily basis. Working with higher end restaurants, such as Top of the Inn, Earls or The Keg, your evenings can be very creative and without a doubt, super gourmet!
There are only a few gourmet dish favourites repeated by our customers over and over again. Beef Stroganoff was one of them. Using only the best beef tenderloin and high-priced exotic mushrooms, (picked just the week before), a gourmet dish was quickly assembled to suite anyone’s palate.
Making this dish at home seems to be out of the question unless you were willing to spend $20 for triple-A beef tenderloin and another $30 for hand-picked mushrooms.
But, what if you used common placed fresh white mushrooms and beef, like inside round or sirloin ? It surely would be possible then to enjoy Beef Stroganoff at home, on a budget.
Join me, Chef Bari as I prepare Beef Stroganoff.
BEEF STROGANOFF WITH BUTTERED EGG NOODLES
YIELDS : 4 servings
16 oz of Sirloin sliced thin against the grain (see photo)
2 1/2 cups of fresh sliced mushrooms
1 Onion medium, sliced julienne (sliced thin)
2 cloves of fresh minced garlic
3 tablespoons of Olive Oil or Grapeseed Oil (available at Costco) If you can’t afford either, use canola oil.
4 tablespoons of flour
3 cups of Beef stock
2 shots of Worcestershire sauce (1 tablespoon)
Salt & Pepper to season
1/4 cup of sour cream
For Pasta :
3 cups of Egg Noodles
1/4 cup chopped parsley ( I like to place 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley into my beef Stroganoff too)
- Using brazier or large sauté pan add oil, sauté sliced mushrooms and onions on medium heat. ( See photo )
- Flour thinly sliced beef ( see photo)
- Add beef to mushrooms and onions, sauté on medium-high. Keep stirring. Add 1/4 cup of beef stock to prevent sticking to pan.
- Add minced garlic. Stir throughout.
- Add rest of beef stock. Bring to a simmer, cover and let cook for an hour. Every 15 minutes, stir and recover. Repeat until the hours up.
- In the meantime, chop,you parsley (see photo).
- The last 15 minutes of cooking, remove lid, stir. Let liquid reduce for the next 15 minutes.
- Take off of heat, let sit.
- Get your pasta ready . Medium sized pot, add water. Add a teaspoon of salt to water and bring to a boil. Add egg noodles and cook until el dente ( to- the-bite).
- Drain pasta, but reserve 1/8 cup of the pasta water.
- Add butter and parsley to pot to melt butter. Place egg noodles back into pot. Add 1/8 pasta water and mix. Take off heat.
- NOW : Add sour cream to beef Stroganoff, stirring evenly.
TO THE PLATE
Add egg noodles and top with a generous portion of Stroganoff, sprinkle a teaspoon of chopped parsley, but not necessary – Bon Appetite!
Check out more gourmet recipes :
Bari-O Spaniards Kalamata Pimienta Cayena Crusted Red Snapper with Caper Lemon Butter nappe and Jalapeño Aioli by Chef Bari
Chicken Fettuccine Carbonara by Chef Bari
Chopped Romaine goes great with Caper Dressing
And there you have it. Gourmet selections at home are possible and sure to impress your partner. Great easy ideas for Valentines too.
Cook’n up a storm by Chef Bari
Follow me on Facebook too
Please take a minute to support my efforts by purchasing my cookbook, Canadian Recipes of the Great White North – the true Great Canadian Cookbook by Chef Bari
Thank you for the follow – Chef Bari
DONATE TO THE CHEFS BEER FUND
- May 2023
- April 2023
- March 2023
- February 2023
- January 2023
- December 2022
- November 2022
- October 2022
- September 2022
- August 2022
- June 2022
- February 2022
- December 2021
- November 2021
- October 2021
- March 2021
- November 2020
- October 2020
- September 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- March 2020
- January 2020
- November 2019
- October 2019
- February 2019
- November 2018
- June 2018
- April 2017
- December 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- January 2016
- August 2015
3 Comments Add yours
Delicious recipe…I love beef stroganoff!
Thank you Frances
LikeLiked by 1 person