Slow cook Ribs using the dry oven method will produce tender, fall-off-the-bone ribs you usually pay for ( a lot!) at say Tony Roma’s. I used to go to Tony Roma’s for Ribs all the time, until they jacked up the price from $16.95 to now a whopping $39.90 for one slab of Ribs – yikes😳!
So, like any Chef, we head back to the privacy of our own kitchen and cook Pork Ribs at 1/3 the price with 3X the amount you would receive in any restaurant.
I like to buy my Pork Ribs at Costco, because not only are they cost effective but they have higher quality meat.
Here’s my Recipe of Slow Cook Ribs – Dry Oven Method
- 1 package of Costco Pork side Ribs
- 3 garlic cloves
- Sea Salt or course mill salt using grinder
- Black Pepper Corns using mill grinder
- 1 tablespoon of dry Basil
- 1 tablespoon of dry Oregano
- 1/2 cup of BBQ SAUCE of your choice or for me I really enjoy the carefully placed spices with BULLS-EYE BBQ SAUCE. I have also made my own BBQ sauce, but today I decided to use BULLS-EYE.
METHOD ( Procedure) * “Method” is Chef’s jargon for preparation or procedure.
THE DAY BEFORE :
My method is completely different from most recipes, as I rub-in the BBQ sauce onto the ribs, as most add their BBQ SAUCE at the end of their cooking procedure.
REASON : The BBQ SAUCE breaks down the fibres of the meat tissues making them tender in the end result.
SO – THEREFORE:
Peel garlic cloves and cut in half. Rub garlic into all the Pork Ribs.
Season with salt, black pepper, Oregano and Basil. Rub into the meat.
Now – add a generous portion of BULLS-EYE BBQ SAUCE and RUB-IN THROUGHOUT.
Place on baking sheet lined with tin foil and if you have one, a silicon-liner ( but not necessary) Cover with **Saran Wrap and Tin Foil and place into fridge until the NEXT DAY ( approximately up to 16- 24 hours)
NEXT DAY :
- Take Pork Ribs out of fridge and leave out for 15 minutes only! This method gets rid-of-the-chill ( room temperature )
- Preheat Oven at 250 degrees F
- Place covered Pork Ribs in Oven and let cook for 2 1/2 hours.
- After 2/12 hours of cooking remove Tin-foil and Saran Wrap covering. Add additional BBQ SAUCE on top of Ribs.
- Drain juices.
- Turn heat up to 325 degrees F and let dry cook uncovered for 20 – 25 minutes.
Voila ! And that’s it.
Your Slow Cook Pork Ribs are ready to eat! Cut into portion sizes and serve or how I prefer, in nice large slabs on the plate – yum! Cooking Pork Ribs this way will be so tender with the meat easy to fall-off-the-bone as you eat these morsels of yumminess ( if there were such a word – lol).
I hope you enjoy my efforts and please support Chef Bari by buying his published cookbook, CANADIAN RECIPES OF THE GREAT WHITE NORTH.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and Christmas Holiday and join Chef Bari on Facebook for periodic updates on cooking methods along with recipes.
Happy Cooking ! “Cook’n Up a Storm by Chef Bari”
NOTE : **You will notice I mentioned covering the whole set of Ribs with Saran Wrap first and then top it with Tin Foil. This is an old Chefs TIP or TRICK we use to secure the item and allow to cook in its own moistures. The placing of the Saran Wrap prevents the aluminum foil to bake onto the meat ( which happens a lot). Just make sure you place on the Saran Wrap you secure it ( completely cover it) with the tin-foil. This way it will NOT melt in the heat.
Please support my efforts by purchasing my cookbook “Canadian Recipes of the Great White North”