It’s that time of the year in Canada’s Great White North. Soups and Stews are a nice comfort food for the whole family, healthy and nutritional.
Prep ( Mise en Place) takes approximately 20 minutes with cooking process another 50 minutes.
- 1 cup Pearl Barley
- 1 cup Onions – medium cut
- 1 cup Carrots – small cut
- 1 cup Celery – small cut
- 2 cups Potatoes – small cut
- 1 cup of fresh Roma tomatoes – medium cut OR 1 can stewed Tomatoes ( crush by hand)
- 1 tablespoon Tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons of Grapeseed Oil ( you can use Canola or Olive Oil )
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 3 cups of Stewing (beef) meat ( If you’re looking to cut costs, instead of buying beef already cut, buy a couple of pieces of sirloin or inside round. Cut into bite size cubes)
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 2 – 1 litre of Beef OR Chicken Stock ( I like to use Campbell’s stock because easy accessibility at Costco) That would be approximately 9 cups of stock. Also, I’m not worried if it’s chicken or beef stock. It’s whatever I have in my pantry.
- 2 tablespoons of beef base
OPTIONAL: 2 Bay Leaves and couple of cloves of whole garlic
BEFORE YOU START ANYTHING, SOAK BARLEY IN WATER.
Get your prep ready as shown in my photo.
- Get your favourite brazer pot or now-a-days the DUTCH OVEN has come back into popularity. Add oil with butter and add stew meat, begin searing ( brown on all sides )
- Add onions and cook until onions are transparent.
- Add carrots and celery.
- Add tomatoes
TRICK OR TIP : To help speed up cooking time I like to add to 1 1/2 cups of water and stir evenly. Cover with lid and cook on medium-low heat for 10 minutes. ( Stir every few minutes, during this process) Remove lid, stir evenly again. Without lid, cook until liquid is almost evaporated. Don’t forget to stir.
TRICK REASON : Without using a pressure cooker, it gives you a leap forward in helping tenderizing your meat product.
5. Add Cut Potatoes.
6.Add beef or chicken stock. Stir evenly and bring to a boil.
7. Drain Barley and Add to soup.
8. Add beef base and Tomato Paste. Stir evenly and let cook on low heat for 45 minutes until Potatoes are cooked. The beef should be tender too. The Barley should be also nice and tender.
DON’T FORGET – KEEP STIRRING EVERY FEW MINUTES. This is not the soup to leave alone. It will certainly stick on the bottom if you aren’t careful.
After Beef Barley Soup is ready with all vegetables, meat and Barley is tender, serve to your guests with nice piece of crusty bread. French Bread works great !
By Chef Bari
Please support my efforts by buying my published cookbook Canadian Recipes of the Great White North by Chef Bari.
Enjoy further recipes on blogger too.
Thank you for reading and see you in the kitchen “Cook’n Up a Storm with Chef Bari”
DONATE TO CHEFS BEER FUND
- chef bari
- Easy Recipes
- Italian Heritage
- Weight-Watchers Recipes