Baby Bagels – WW Style
(Baby Bagels – Weight-Watchers Style)
WW : 2 points each / 3 if you add the cheese.
Serving Size : 8 pieces
My Weight-Watchers Story
(If you’re just interested in the Baby Bagel recipe and find my story boring and you want the recipe right now head on below – I totally understand).
Working as a Chef for the past 35 years, ( see my whole chef story on my About Page) I had no choice but to try everything I made, including the sauces. It wasn’t long before I gained unwanted weight. Seriously, it’s the hazard of being a chef working 16 hours a day, six days a week. Feeling unhealthy, I had to do something. So, I started on WW (weight-watchers on-line) and began to lose weight. So far I’m 53 lbs lighter then before. I need to lose another 20 lbs and I’ll be at my goal weight.
Any how…as any chef we’re always interested in new improved recipes, like the “Baby WW Bagel” recipe I see going around the internet. With only 2 points for each mini bagel I just had to try it out. Adding cheese you’ll have to add one more point, but it’s worth it.
Baby Bagels go great with homemade soup. Be sure to see my Soup Page Recipes too.
Baby Bagels Recipe
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup nonfat Greek Yogurt
(You’re actually using two eggs, because I use one egg for egg wash on top of your baby WW ( weight-watchers) bagel. Whisk up and place to the side when you’re ready.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. (I prefer the silicon mat myself)
- Get a medium or large bowl and sift in one cup of flour. Then sift in 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder and 1/2 tsp of salt. Mix with wooden spoon.
- With your one cup – measuring cup ( every household has) add one egg. Whisk egg. Now add your Greek Yogurt ( mixing as you go) until you reach exactly one cup.
- Now (with help of plastic scraper) pour yogurt mixer into the dry flour ingredients in the bowl. Mix until combined.
- Now time to use your hands. ( wash your hands please 😉). Mix with your hands until it forms a dough. Place on a floured countertop and roll, kneading until it looks like my photo. Shape it.
- Next, cut your oval-shape dough into eight pieces ; like my photo shows.
- Now roll out each piece into a ball.
- Begin rolling out each one as shown in my photo. Long little log-shape baby bagels.
- Now form into baby bagel by connecting each end. ( If you’re creative, make some pretzel shapes, like I did. See photo )
- Put them on your baking sheet.
- Take egg wash and dap your baby bagels.
- Again, if you like to dress them up, add a little grated cheese or jalapeños slices, like I did.
- Now put the baby bagel creations into your preheat oven at 350 degrees F
- Let bake for 20 – 25 minutes.
Voila – You’re ready to impress your guests ! You don’t have to be on WW to try these tasty baby bagel morsels. Add some butter, jam or both. Whatever your fancy.
Thank you for coming to my website to try out my tested recipe that works every time. Please take a moment to buy my published Cookbook “ Canadian Recipes of the Great White North”
WW Ginger Chicken Dish
WW Ginger Chicken by Chef Bari ( Weight-Watchers style)
NOTE : Because this is weight watchers ( healthier cooking method) there are more steps then just straight frying in the deep fryer. No deep fryer here.
Servings : 4 guests
Points per person : 4 points
1/2 cup of sticky Rice per person : 3 points
Warm Pepper Jelly per person : 1 point
Total points per person : 8 points for a nice tasty healthy dinner to impress your guests
Ingredients for the Chicken Marinade:
- 3 Chicken Breasts – Boneless and skinless
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons of fresh grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons of Kikkoman Soya Sauce
- Optional : 1 chilli pepper
- Cut the chicken breast into strips ( with the grain)
- Place in large mixing bowl
- Add fresh minced garlic and grated ginger to the chicken.
- Add Kikkoman Soya Sauce and if you want some kick to it, add 1 chilli pepper. If you’re not a spicy fan, don’t add chilli pepper.
- Mix altogether and place in fridge covered to marinade for a couple of hours.
In the meantime, prepare the next ingredients:
- 1 Red Bell Pepper cut into julienne ( fine sliced strips )
- 2 medium size Sweet White Onion cut into julienne (fine sliced strips)
- 1 bunch of green onions sliced on a slant
- 1 tablespoon of grated ginger
- 2 whole garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons of flour
- 6 tablespoons of cornstarch
- Salt and White Pepper
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons Pure sesame seed oil
- 2 tablespoons of Canola oil
- 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds
Optional: 2 Tablespoons of Red Pepper Jelly
Tools : Wok or deep sided frying pan, wok ladle or wooden spoon. Small baking sheet lined with silicon or parchment paper. I like to use my GOTHAM™ STEEL Large Crisper Tray ——->
- Mix the flour, cornstarch, garlic powder. Season with salt and pepper. All in a medium size bowl.
- Take marinade chicken breast strips and and drain of any excess liquid.
- Dredge in the cornstarch/flour mixture.
- Place dredged chicken strips on baking sheet w/ silicon or the Gotham Steel with tray. This way you get rid of the excess and it dries out. Give it a shake. Makes it easier to fry in Wok w/ much less oil. Let sit in tray for 10 minutes.
- Place Wok or deep frying pan on stove. Add 3 teaspoons Pure sesame seed oil and the 2 tablespoons of Canola oil. Turn heat on medium-high.
- Start placing the chicken strips 1/4 at a time. If you add all the chicken at once you’ll cool down the Wok and your chicken will boil instead of sizzle. You must hear that sizzling sound. If experienced enough, you can flip the Wok. However, if you’re new in the kitchen, flip with a perforated wok ladle or large wooden spoon. Cook until lightly cooked. Not necessary to have the golden brown, as of yet. Keep cooking the chicken in four stages until all cooked.
- Place on cleaned baking sheet with silicon or parchment paper. Spread out evenly.
- Place the cooked chicken strips in a preheated oven at 375 F for 15 minutes. It will become a nice golden brown now.
- Clean your Wok or deep frying pan.
- Spray with Pam. Place in the julienne sliced Red Peppers, Green Onions, Sweet White Onions, and thinly sliced garlic. Sauté until done.
- Add 1 tablespoon of fresh grated ginger.
- Remove chicken strips from the oven and add to the wok with the red peppers and onion mixture. Flip Wok or stir with your wooden spoon. Quick sauté all.
Because this is a healthier version, it goes great with a side of sticky rice.
You can add a couple tablespoons of warm red pepper jelly on top, just to get that sweetness to compliment the ginger and garlic. This is what I do and count the extra points for the Red Pepper Jelly. ( I purchased mine at Costco).
Last night I complimented my Ginger Chicken Dish with Stir-Fry Rice, photo shown below :
Please take a minute to Purchase my published cookbook “ Canadian Recipes of the Great White North by Chef Bari”
Or donate for my efforts- thank you so much.
Support my efforts- Thank you