Asian Ginger Veggies indeed compliments on top of your Fish Taco dish, or if you’re a ginger fan, you can have it straight up as is. It would also compliment a stir-fry or bbq chicken too. There’s an unlimited uses for my Asian Ginger Veggies.
The method of cutting is an important part of this dish. It takes patience to cut your veggies into julienne style pieces.
Julienne Cut : “Julienne, allumette, or french cut, is using a Chef’s knife and cutting item into long thin strips ( like matchsticks).Common items to be julienned are carrots for carrots julienne, celery for céléris, onions , beets and ginger.
Here’s the recipe:
First set of Ingredients:
- 4 whole peeled carrots cut into julienne cut
- 3 celery stalks cut into julienne cut
- 2 stalks of Fresh peeled Ginger cut into julienne cut ( If you’re not a ginger fan, just half of a stalk )
- 1 medium sweet white onion cut into julienne cut
- 3 cups of vinegar [heat up in pot until boiling and place to the side for now. What I like to do is had 2 whole garlic cloves ( not the whole bulb) into the vinegar whiles it’s boiling and then let sit to collect the favour of the fresh garlic.
- Cut all veggies above as instructed ( julienne cut ) and mix in a large metal bowl.
- Add your boiled vinegar into the veggie mixture. Let set for 1 hour.
- Drain out the vinegar but be sure to save 1/8 cup for your Vinegarette Dressing below. ( I like to save all of the vinegar for my next batch. We Chefs don’t waste anything – lol )
- Now your veggies will have that pickled taste. Be sure all your liquid is removed. Let drain in colander for a good 5 minutes, just to be sure. Good to mix inside the colander too.
The Vinegarette Ingredients ( this can be made the day before if you like to absorbed all the flavours, but is not necessary)
- 3 tablespoons of Fish Oil
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic minced fine
- 1/8 cup sugar or what like I do, is use STEIVA ( Just because I’m on Weight-Watchers)
- 3 tablespoons of Kikkoman Soya Sauce
- 1/8 cup of Sesame Seed Oil
- 1/4 cup of Olive Oil
- 1/8 cup of reserved vinegar
- 1 Freshly squeezed Lemon
- 1/4 cup of roasted sesame seeds ( See trick below if you just have plain white sesame seeds) ***
Optional : You can add one Fresh cut Pepper of your choice to add a little spice to your life 😉 : Pepperoncini or Anaheim or red Chiles pepper or Jalapeno Pepper. I personally enjoy Jalapeños myself.
- In a glass bowl add all ingredients and stir.
- Stir into your veggie mixture until well corporated. Place in fridge and let marinade for a good 2 – 3 hours. The longer, the better. All the flavours will take hold and it will be soooo tasty 😋 !
Sesame Seeds Roasting Trick :
Spray a large flat frying pan with Pam. Turn on heat to medium-high. Place in your sesame seeds and let roast, turning with wooden spoon every 30 seconds. Keep watching as the sesame seeds will begin to toast fast ! So be carful not to burn them. I like to remove the frying pan from the heat, stir and then place back on burner. I keep stirring with wooden spoon until a nice golden brown and toasty – so good ! Yum!
I hope you enjoy my latest vegetarian recipe. Please take a minute to share and please tell your friends.
Please support my efforts by purchasing my 2020 – 3rd edition of my cookbook “ Canadian Recipes of the Great White North”