- Toasting your Coconut
- 2 cups of shredded coconut
- Spread out on baking sheet with liner
- Place in 410 degree F oven and bake until toasty light brown. Approximately 3- 5 minutes.
TIP : bring out and mix and place back in.
( Warning : Be sure to watch it or it will burn)
Prepare Graham Crust
- 7 tablespoons of butter
- 2 cups of Graham Crumbs
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of shredded coconut
- Melt butter
- Add sugar and mix
- Add Graham crumbs and mix
- Add 2 tablespoons of shredded coconut and mix
- Press into large pie plate — See Photo
- Cook at 350 degrees for 10 minutes
Prepare the Coconut Custard
- 300 ml ( 10.5 oz) Eagle Brand (low fat) Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 1/4 cup of Cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 4 Egg yolks if medium size / If large 3 egg yolks.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of Vanilla
- Get out your favourite medium size saucepan. Mix together milk and cornstarch in saucepan.
2. Add Sweetened Condensed Milk and salt into saucepan. Mix together.
3. Place on stove at medium heat.
4. Cook , stirring constantly so it doesn’t burn on you. This takes time and patience.
5. Remove from heat.
6. With your egg yolks in a small bowl, whisk steadily in a small ladle of the hot mixture. Add another two ladles at a time. This is called “ Tempering” your egg yolks so they don’t scramble.
7. Now whisk the egg yolk mixture into the hot mixture. Place on medium to low heat and stir constantly until nice and thick. Follow my tip —
Tip: Once you see the mixture comes to a steamy foam remove from heat for a couple of minutes. Mix and you should notice it’s starting to thicken. Place on LOW HEAT, add butter and vanilla. Remove from heat and stir in shredded coconut.
It should be nice and thick.
8. Pour Coconut Custard into your Graham Crust shell.
Preparing the Meringue Topping
- 4 Egg Whites
- 1/2 teaspoon of Cream of Tartar
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- Add egg whites to a cold metal bowl
2. Begin beating with your electric beater. Add Cream of Tartar and beat in.
3. Keep beating the egg whites until it begins to be a white foam.
4. Now add sugar a little at a time. Each time make sure your sugar is well mixed in.
5. Continue until all the sugar is incorporated.
Your White Meringue should have a nice thick peak.
6. Now – Spread evenly the White Meringue on top of your custard that’s already in the pie.
7. Now — this is important. Place in preheat 375 degree oven from 5 – 8 minutes. Watch it carefully or it burn on you. Keep watching until it turns a nice golden brown.
8. Immediately remove from heat and let set for 5 minutes on counter.
9. Now — place in fridge for 2 – 3 hours so it sets nicely.
Cut into serving portions and enjoy ! 😋
Please support my efforts by purchasing my cookbook “ Canadian Recipes of the Great White North “