One of the easiest quick dishes to make for your family or that special someone is Chicken Breast Chasseur. Chasseur sauce is a fancy name for “Hunters”. So easy French-style cooking that will surely impress your guests.
- 2 tablespoons of grapeseed oil ( grapeseed oil has a higher cooking temperature and won’t break down like canola oil. However, use what you have in your home. Don’t make a special trip because of the oil.) *I Buy grapeseed Oil at Costco.
- 2 Chicken Breasts ( butterfly each chicken breast and season with salt & pepper.
- 1 cup of quarter fresh mushrooms 🍄 ( Go crazy and pick a delicate mushroom of your choice. Chanterelles are always nice)
- 2 Cloves of minced garlic
- 1/2 Sweet White Onion finely diced ( Do you have shallots ? Go ahead and use Shallots and don’t worry about the garlic, simply because shallots are a nice combo of both onion and garlic. Again finely diced is important. Don’t use cooking onions – way too strong!)
- 1/2 can of stewed tomatoes 🍅 ( or if you can, use fresh Roma Tomatoes 🍅 but it’s necessary to blanch them and remove the skin. If not experienced in such a thing, just buy one can of Stewed Tomatoes, making your life a lot easier.)
- 1 tablespoon of Tomato paste
- 1 cup of Chicken Stock
- 1 tablespoon of concentrated Knors beef base ( not powder) ( or in my case I used Demi-glaze. It’s a Chef’s thing )
- Seasoning – Black Pepper and Sea Salt to taste.
[NOW – IF you’re NOT on a Weight-watchers Plan OR if you are, be sure to count below ingredients. ]
1/4 cup of white wine ( 1 point weight watchers)
Splash of Cognac ( 1/2 oz) ( 2 points weight watchers)
1 tablespoon cold butter ( 4 points weight watchers – yikes!)
2 tablespoons of rich cream ( 33 %) ( 3 points weight watchers)
1 tablespoon of Fresh tarragon, finely chopped
- As said, butterfly Chicken Breasts – See link if you’re not sure what I mean. Season with cracked pepper and sea salt.
- Heat up your favourite frying pan. Medium heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons of grapeseed oil. Swirl the pan gently.
- Add your butterfly-Chicken Breasts. Cook evenly both sides and then remove from pan. Place to the side for now.
- Add mushrooms- sauté until a nice golden brown color. Remove from pan and place to side.
- Add finely chopped sweet white onion and fresh minced garlic. Sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add tomato paste. Swirl together.
- Add Cognac and white wine. Add fresh tarragon if you have it. Cook and reduce to absorbed all the flavours from the pan.
- Add Chicken Breasts and mushrooms back to the pan.
- Add Chicken Stock – cook evenly. Stir in beef base. Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer. Cover and let cook gently for 5 – 8 minutes. (NOTE : Butterfly Chicken cooks a lot faster then a whole breast).
- Remove cooked chicken to your favourite presentation plate.
- Swirl cold butter into pan until nicely combined. Remove pan from heat and swirl in rich cream. (Optional.)
14. Nappe’ Chasseur Sauce on top of your chicken.
This dish goes great with garlic rosemary infused mashed potatoes , a nice rice pilaf or your favourite rice. Mine is sticky rice.
Follow me on INSTAGRAM for more great foodporn photos too.
DONATE TO CHEFS BEER FUND
Please support my efforts by purchasing my cookbook “Canadian Recipes of the Great White North”