This evening I made my grandfather’s Italian dish : “ Pasta cremosa di Pollo con Parmigiano Reggiano” my grandfather introduced to me when I was a young boy. Nonno ( Grandpa) was born in Corropoli, Italy.
In English terms, Grandpa Tony signature dish is : Creamy Chicken Pasta with Parmigiana Reggiano .
It’s closely related to the word zozzona which means that something is full of everything and it’s hard to describe, referring to the richness of the dish itself. Nonno would add fresh peas when available too. Indeed a rich dish made for any Caesar !
Oh yes ! I used our fancy Christmas dishes – LOL 😂
As Pasta Queen ( Ciao Bella !) will say (as she gracefully throws her long silky hair ) “ Ingredients !”
Serving Size : 5 guests
2 cups Guanciale – small cut ( pork jowl or cheeks) (Substitute : Bacon)
2 cups of fresh sliced mushrooms
1 tablespoon of fresh minced garlic
Optional: 1/2 cup of fresh peas ( when in season )
4 Chicken Breasts cut into cubes
3 cups of heavy cream
3 cups of Elicoidali Pasta (Substitute: Rigatoni or Penne)
1/2 cup of Pasta water
1/4 cup of finely shredded Parmigiana Reggiano
Drizzle of Olive Oil
Garnish : Fresh chopped Parsley or Chives
1. Sauté Guanciale until almost crispy
2. Add mushrooms and minced garlic — sauté
3. Add diced chicken breast and cook on medium heat until throughly cooked. Gently stir during cooking process
4. Begin cooking your Elicoidali Pasta in boiling salt water
5. Warm up cream in microwave and then add to chicken mixture. Stir evenly throughout. Turn down heat to low and let simmer.
6. Check your pasta ( al dente) and reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water.
7. Add 1/2 cup of pasta water to creamy chicken sauce.
8. Drain Pasta and add to creamy chicken sauce. Mix evenly throughout and drizzle Olive Oil.
9. Add a light portion of Parmigiana Reggiano
Note : Parmigiana Reggiano is a strong cheese, so add accordingly please. It can over power your dish.