- 1 cup ( 2 sticks ) salted butter ( room temperature)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 small eggs or 1 large egg and one yoke
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract; if pure use 1 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (sifted)
- Whisk the egg and vanilla in a small bowl, then set aside.
- In a large bowl sift in the flour, baking powder and add the salt. Mix together with wooden spoon.
- With a hand-held mixer in a large bowl or your favourite mixer, cream the butter until fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula, add 1 cup of sugar and continue beating until light, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl again. then Add the egg and vanilla mixture ; mix for about 1 minute.
- Reduce the mixer to a low speed and add the flour mixture one cup at a time, until all the flour mixture is incorporated. Turn the dough out of the bowl.
- Now is a good time to preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Flour your surface and begin forming out the cookie dough with your hand.
- Now, begin rolling out the cookie dough until it’s about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. ( See photo below)
- Get out your favourite Christmas cookie cutters and begin – See my photo below.
- Place on cookie sheet with silicon or parchment paper.
- Place in preheated 350 degrees F oven for 7- 8 minutes. No longer then 8 minutes otherwise your cookies will overcook.
- Set them above the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Now transfer to a cutting board or table surface, so it cools off completely, as if you allow it to keep cooling on hot cookie sheet, it will overcook. Let it sit for 20 minutes until it’s firm.
Time to decorate with your kids or grandchildren :
- You will need 1 cup confectioners’ sugar; 1 tablespoon milk and food colouring (preferably red and green because it’s Christmas after all).
- Mix together and divide into separate small bowls. Add food colouring.
Note : I like using Wilton products you can find at Micheals or Walmart.
Hope you enjoy my latest treat. See more Christmas
DONATE TO THE CHEFS BEER FUND
Please support my efforts by purchasing my cookbook “Canadian Recipes of the Great White North”
- Creamy Glazed Heavenly Light Donuts Recipe
- Chickpea Banana and Chocolate Chip Cookie by Chef Bari –
- Easy Cordon Bleu Pork Schnitzel by Chef Bari
- Creme Almond Banana Anglaise Pie ( WW STYLE)
- Prime Rib